Monday 7 October 2013

Aspirin mask

When I first moved to Hong Kong, my skin took a turn for the worse.. after a few stressful weeks, I came to decision to let it wear out, surely my skin will adapt? But after more than half a year here, it seems as if my skin has made up its mind that it didn't like HK and stubbornly refused to settle in. I am lucky enough to be blessed with a mother who is a beauty therapist and she has given me all her knowledge in dealing with sensitive skin (sometimes through constant nagging that I shouldn't touch my face when I'm out and about - which I am guilty of...). I have a pretty strict skin regime that I stick faithfully to but this was apparently no use in fighting the hot and humid weather. I was still having the all-too occasional outbreaks :(

So here I am sitting in front of a jar of Manuka honey and some aspirin pills. I vaguely remembered watching youtube videos and reading articles on the benefits of aspirin against acne. Aspirin is an anti-inflammatory and also acts as an exfoliator, getting rid of dead skin cells and allow the unclogging of pores (hence reducing blackheads). Having remembered, I did a bit more research before rushing off to the supermarket and local pharmacy after work. I actually had no idea there were so many types of honey. I ended up squatting in the supermarket aisle, staring at the lower shelf which was filled with a dozen or so of different honey. There were some honeydew honey, clover honey, orange blossom honey and a few others that I can't remember the name of. I wasn't really sure what would do better on my skin but I went for Manuka honey in the end. Manuka honey has anti-bacterial properties so I thought that would be a plus, besides it would come in handy if I were to ever go down with a cold or sore throat. It says online that organic would have been best but it's pretty hard to find organic products in HK without going great lengths. 

What seems to be the general recipe for an aspirin mask is: 5-6 uncoated aspirin pills plus 1 tsp of honey.  Dissolve the aspirin into a little bit of water and mix with the honey, spread onto face and leave on for 15-20 mins before rinsing off. 


Well, after all that typing it's time to give my face some TLC! 

jjoee x



No comments:

Post a Comment